About Peridot stone
Glorious yellow-green Peridot stone also called as Olivine, Hawaiite, Chrysolite stone the August birthstone. Peridot gemstone is named after the French word peritot, meaning gold, because the mineral can vary towards this color. The Peridot is the birthstone of August and also the stone given to celebrate the 16th year of marriage.
Peridot stone in Hindi is Pairidot (पैरिडॉट)
Peridot stone in Tamil is Pacchai Manikal (பச்சை மணிக்கல்)
Crystal Peridot stone in Malayalam is periḍēāṭṭ (പെരിഡോട്ട്)
Peridot stone in Telugu is Peridot
Peridot is the National gem of Egypt. Ancient Egyptians knew it as “the gem of the sun.” Peridot was mined for over 3,500 years on St Johns Island. As late as the 19th Century, the Kedhive of Egypt had a monopoly on the mines.
What is the August birthstone?
The August birthstone is the peridot. It is also the stone given during celebrations of the 16th marriage anniversary.
It is common for peridot to be confused for emeralds. In fact, it has been discovered that some popular large stones thought to be emeralds were actually peridots. An example is a gem used to beautify the shrine of Three Holy Kings in the Cologne cathedral, which was only discovered to be a peridot in the last century.
Astrological Benefits of Peridot Stone
Peridot was a very famous stone during ancient times. This stone is substitute of Emerald. Peridots have magical and mystical properties associated with them. benefits of Peridot stone are
- Peridots increase strength and vitality in people.
- They have a calming effect on the wearer and also said to bring happiness and warmth in the lives of people.
- They increase strength in people and reduce anxiety.
- When used as a necklace, they become a protector against negative emotions.
- They have healing effect on liver and gall bladder.
- This stone is related to happiness, love and truth, it instills a sense of truthfulness in people and makes them think in a rational way.
- This stone destroys negativity and brings clarity in thoughts.
- Peridot stones are good healers of diseases related to lungs, breasts, intestinal tract, spleen and lymph.
- When worn as an amulet, Peridot gemstones are good for asthma and sinus.
- They are known to alleviate anger, fear, depression, nervousness, anxiety, and jealousy.
- Will bring about a lot of improvement in health and spirituality to the wearer.
- They have the power to manifest money and many other good things in your life
Also See: Birthstones by Month
What is the largest peridot found?
Most peridot gemstones exist in small sizes of less than 3 carats. Any size of peridot above 5 carats is rare to find and will come at a higher cost. Nevertheless, the American Museum of Natural History in New York, and the I have displayed among the largest, finest, and the best varieties of the peridot. Washington, DC’s Smithsonian Institution is famed to have cut a peridot gem of 310 carats.
Peridot Stone Countries
Most of the peridot gemstone mined comes from China, Pakistan, and Arizona and the gems that are found are mostly under 3 carats. Two of the finest peridot collections in the world can be found at the Field Museum in Chicago, and the Museum of Natural History in New York.
- Hardness on Moh’s Scale: 6.5-7
- Luster: Oily
- Transparency: Semi-transparent to highly Transparent
- Microscopic view: Lily Pad like inclusions (included Crystals with halo)
- Peridot is brittle stone & easily attacked by acids.
How to Wear Peridot Stone?
Peridot can be worn in either Gold or Silver. It can be worn as a Ring, Pendant, armlet or Bracelet.
- Day of wearing Peridot: Wednesday
- Metal for wearing Peridot: Silver or Gold
- Finger for wearing Peridot: Little Finger or Ring Finger
- Chakra associated with Peridot: Heart Chakra
How to care for your peridot jewelry?
Though a bit hard compared to emeralds, one should keep the stone away from items that can give it scratches. Also, peridots can be ruined by sharp blows, steam cleaners, chemicals, and ultrasonic cleaning.
The best and safest way for you to clean your peridot stone is with warm water, or mild soapy water. You should take special care of your peridot, it does not contact with temperature changes, which can damage the stone. Protect stone from scratches and sharp blows and avoid any contact with chemicals. Peridots should not be cleaned in ultrasonic or steam cleaners.
What is the value of the peridot?
Large pieces of this gem are becoming increasingly rare. This is why the price of a peridot above 5 carats will increase with size. Their price will also depend on the quality and their origin, with those from Myanmar commanding a higher price. With that said, a peridot can cost between $1 and $900 per carat.